Monday, November 13, 2006

Livin' it

It feels great to be pursuing the lifestyle I've dreamed of and hoped for. True, I'm not on Broadway or in a feature film yet, but I've got to start somewhere! It's definitely possible to be a working actress in this market, and I'm trying to make use of the resources available in this diverse, cultured metropolitan. This past weekend, I saw two plays (one musical, on straight), met with a fellow aspiring actress to introduce her to the industry here in DC, went to an audition, and ran my first 7-mile run in prep for an upcoming ten-miler.

"Crestfall" was a rough, edgy play made up of 3 twenty or so minute monologues told by three Scottish women (American and British actresses) about their lives with abusive men. Nitty gritty and powerful, these actresses took the stage and held our attention. It was helpful to see this performance in the space where I think I'll be auditioning at tonight. "Coming Home" is the musical I attended last night. The piece was directed by Mary Hall Surface, and commissioned for the newly renovated Atlas Performing Arts Center on H Street NE. It told the history of the neighborhood through the stories of local characters and places. There were riots there in the sixties that destroyed alot of the local feel and businesses (and probably this old theatre). A pre-show reception included desserts and coffee accompanied by a local motown quintet and a hip hop dance group- I think they were both local, a great sense of community! Hopefully the rejuvenation of the Atlas is the beginning of bringing this rundown neighborhood back to life. There's so much history in this city, and I find myself wanting to learn about it all. Next weekend, I will most likely audition for a show there: "Kiss Me Kate", produced by the Washington Savoyards.

Two auditions today: the Actor's Center Lottery audition (big cattle call) and "Reefer Madness" at Studio Theatre's SecondStage! I'm psyched for both, but REALLY want success at the "Reefer Madness" audition! The show goes up in July, but no more details until I land the show.

Rehearsals continue for "Juanita the Walrus Goes on a Shopping Spree". They're advertising it as "rock-a-silly" production and I can guarantee you that's what you're in for! My costume sounds super groovy, and I can say that it includes purple eyelashes. This kid's show would be a fun stress relief for your holiday shopping. Hope to see you there! For a schedule and ticket info, check out the Venus Theatre website: www.venustheatre.org.

No comments: