Saturday, March 13, 2010

Up & Running

It is SO GOOD to be back on stage again! Last night was the first preview for "The Voysey Inheritance" at 2nd Story Theatre. We've got a smart little show -- polishing up over the next week, then should be a beauty. What I found to be funny was that I found myself nervous for the first time in quite awhile-- my heart was fluttering as I made my first entrance in the first scene. I hadn't realized it's been at least two years since I've performed in a house of over 100, in the round, and for adults... quite naked out there... but oh so thrilling and juicy too!

Part of the thrill is to be working with a talented and humble group of giving actors with diverse backgrounds. Another thrill is to be performing near my hometown after eight years away. I am so thankful to have had the time away from Rhode Island, in competitive markets to make mistakes, learn, and grow in confidence. The homecoming feels like a new starting point in the next stage of my career-- TBD.

So, I'm a huge LOST fan, and found this past week's episode inspiring. Michael Emerson (actor who plays Ben) gave one of his finest, most human performances, which caused me to research his career. Emerson earned a BA in theater from a midwestern college, and after a short, unsuccessful stay in NY, he retreated to Florida where he taught and performed in local theater productions for years. In his late 30s, he earned an MFA at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, and moved onto NY, where this time, he landed Broadway role after role... His role on LOST was only to be a guest star for a few episodes, but the audience loved him so much, that he has become a major role in the past five seasons. A fine performer, his classical experience and training is obvious in his truthful deliveries.

Emerson's story has reassured my faith that I am where I'm supposed to be right now. My big break could be next year, ten years from now, or the compilation of a set of small breaks over the next decade. In a few weeks, I should know whether I will attend grad school next year. Either way, it will be what's right for this part of my journey. I am in a show, and loving it... will revel in every moment!

No comments: