Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Bye Colorado, Don't worry, I'll be back

Who would have known that I would spend an entire week in Littleton, CO? Last spring, I saw COLUMBINUS performed at Roundhouse Theatre in Silver Spring, and was totally affected by the intense, realistic portrayal of kids at the Columbine High School shooting. The play was the most moving piece of art I have experienced, so you can imagine how I felt seeing the "Welcome to Littleton" sign on our way into town. Of course, there is no trace of the incident anymore, and my work partner didn't even know Littleton was the place of the school shooting... proof that Littleton is like any other American town.... your basic chains (well healthy chains! NOODLES & COMPANY!! WILD OATS).

Julie (Iggy) and Greg had a gorgeous house that they graciously opened to us for the week. I will include pictures when I get a chance of their fun, huge dogs. One is part Newfy, and the other part St. Bernard I believe. They have a gorgeous inground pool in the back and my bedroom smelled of strong citronella.. I LOVED IT (in fact, when I open my suitcase, I an still smell the citronella!)

I recently read The Secret Life of Bees, and I swear it has affected my view of bugs. This couldn't have come at a better time, since I encountered many interesting species in Colorado, and now Nebraska.

So, yes, I've reached Valentine, Nebraska, and I was pleasantly surprised at the sights out here. It's gorgeous. Last night, the Simmons invited us over to their ranch, and after dinner we toured some of their 160 acres. We went straight to the highlight: In their prairies they have some 40 buffalo, and we drove right up to the middle of the herd, it was awesome! Check out the pictures!

No comments: